Vanderbilt University Medical Center Finance

Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT)

Unrelated business income is income from a trade or business not substantially related to the performance of the organization, its exempt purpose, or function.

Even though an organization may be recognized as tax exempt, it may still be liable for tax on its unrelated business income. An exempt organization that has $1,000 or more in gross income from an unrelated business must file an Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return, Form 990-T.

If you have any questions as to whether any activity creates unrelated business income tax, please contact a VUMC Tax team member.

Contact Information

Abby Palmer, Associate Director (615) 875-9521

J.T. Cure, Accounting Manager (615) 936-6107

Jennifer Neal, Senior Accounting Manager (615) 875-8829

Kelsey May, Senior Accountant (615) 936-6949